One of my most recent Facebook posts sparked a conversation about why I have and use over 150 apps on my phone. For the average user, this is not normal. For my particular field of work, it’s a lifesaver.
Although I’m a heavy user of social media and all things digital, the first thing I will attribute my so-called addiction to is my phone. I own the Note 3 (soon to buy the Note 4) and the large screen size allows me to view and use apps in a much more visually pleasing way. I cannot imagine viewing any of these apps on a small screen. The second attribution is that they help me to become 100% more efficient with my daily work and personal life. I follow tech blogs that allow me to see new and recommended apps for both iPhone and Android and love testing them out. If they are too cumbersome, I delete. Every few weeks, I review my apps to make sure that they are still a valuable resource to me.
In effort to make this post valuable to my followers, I’m going to start by recommending some of my favorite apps grouped by category. Keep in mind that these are Android apps, that are most often still found on iOS but a few may not.
- Social Media Apps – These apps include all of the social media platforms in which I have an active presence. They include Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Linkedin, Instagram, Pinterest, Path, Tumblr, Reddit, Foursquare, Snapchat, Vine, YouTube, StumbleUpon, Flickr, Quora, Slideshare and Swarm.
- Photography Apps – Out of all the apps, I probably have the most in photography. I own three cameras in addition to my phone and find many photography apps all provide something unique. My favorites are Snapseed and Aviary but also include Camera FX, Camera 360, Beauty camera, A Better Camera, Lapse It Pro, LE Cam, Little Photo, PicsArt, Photo Squarer, PhotoGrid, Perfect 365, Photo Editor, Wondercam, and VSCO Cam to name a few. After all, social media and great photography go together like wine and cheese.
- Social Media Productivity Apps – These apps enable me to do my job more efficiently. I simply couldn’t imagine how much time it would take me throughout the day without the availability of these apps. They include Buffer (for shorting links, scheduling when necessary, and posting to multiple platforms and brand pages), Feedly (scanning 500 blog posts a day for content), AP Mobile, Breaking News, Chrome (the best browser for surfing), Zite (an aggregator of news), Pulse (news aggregator), Flipboard (news aggregator), and Yahoo.
- Deals and Coupon Apps – I’ve saved hundreds of dollars by using these apps. My favorite is GeoQpons but also include Restaurant Coupons, Saving Star, ShopSavvy, SwagBucks, Shopular, Shopmium, and RedLaser.
- Music Apps – I only us these when plugged in to ensure they don’t use up all of my battery life. I love Pandora and Spotify but also use Google Music, Shazam (for discovering tunes), Slacker Radio, and TouchTunes (for playing music on jukeboxes around the world)
- Miscellaneous Apps – By far this is the largest category but include some of my favorites. I won’t list them all but some that I highly recommend are Waze (for your driving pleasure which Google owns), CleanMaster (for keeping me phone and apps clean and junk-free), Chromecast (streaming my phone on to TV screen), Flixster (for latest movie reviews), GasBuddy (for finding the cheapest gas), Fancy (for buying some of the coolest gadgets and items on earth), Zagat (for top rated places and spaces), Roku, and Yelp.[spacer height=”20px”]
I’m sure by now you are thinking that all of these apps probably suck a ton of battery life on my phone but that’s surprisingly not the case. It’s actually what uses the least amount of consumption and I definitely take steps to ensure that they are all not constantly running in the background.
So, there you go. Just a few of the 150 apps that keep me happy, efficient, and productive. I hope that these spark your interest and ‘ll be glad to share new apps on a future blog post. I discover so many each week. If there are any other apps that you would like to enlighten me on, please feel free to let me know!